- If you own property in Ontario, you pay property taxes every year to fund services such as road maintenance and winter plowing, public education, emergency services, waste management, animal control, etc.
- Adelaide Metcalfe collects taxes for use by the municipality, Middlesex County and the local school boards.
How Property Tax is Calculated
The amount of tax payable on your property is based on:
- the assessed value of your property
- the type of property you own (property class)
- the tax rate for your property
Property tax is calculated by multiplying the property assessment by the tax rate.
The following video, made available courtesy of MPAC, offers an overview of how your property taxes is calculated: watch here.
Property Assessment & Classes
The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is responsible for assessing the value of all properties in Ontario.
- You can access the value of properties in your area through AboutMyProperty, a free, self-service application provided by MPAC. · If you have assessment questions or complaints, contact MPAC at 1-866-296-6722.
- Properties were to be re-assessed in 2020, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic this has been delayed. Property assessments for the 2021 and 2022 property tax years will continue to be based on the fully phased-in January 1, 2016 current values. This means your property assessment for the 2021 and 2022 property tax year will be the same as the 2020 tax year, unless there have been changes to your property. Please contact MPAC with any questions or concerns.
- Do you disagree with your assessment? If you disagree with the assessment of your property, you can ask MPAC to review your assessment through the request for reconsideration process.
- Did you demolish or have a fire on your property? A property owner may make an application under Section 357 or Section 358 of the Municipal Act for a refund of property taxes for the following reasons:
-Ceased to be liable to be taxed at rate it is taxed
-Renovations that prevent normal usage
The Tax Adjustment Application Form can be found here.
The application must be made to Adelaide Metcalfe no later than February 28 of the year following the taxation year to which the application relates. To apply, please contact the municipal office.
Correction to Address Information on Property Tax Bill
- If you want to receive all your notices at a different mailing address, you can easily update your information with MPAC here.
- If you have a correction to your assessment roll, i.e. spelling corrections, a Correction to Assessment Roll Form must be submitted to the Municipal Office.
- Note: Legal name changes MUST be processed through your lawyer.
Property tax rates in Adelaide Metcalfe have three components:
1. Municipal Portion: The rates for the municipal portion are established by the annual budget approved by Adelaide Metcalfe Council.
2. County Portion: The rates for the county portion are established by the annual budget approved by Middlesex County Council.
3. Education Portion: The rates for the education portion are established by the Minister of Finance and are used to fund elementary and secondary schools in Ontario. Education tax rates are set under the Education Act.
Historical Tax Rate Information
Tax Billing and Payments
Please see Billing and Payments for full details.
Tax Certificates provide the current status of a tax account including taxes levied, payments made and penalties accrued (if applicable). They also confirm the owners and legal description of a property. Any current Drainage charges, Local Improvement charges and any other General Accounts Receivable balances (if applicable) are included on the tax certificate. A certified tax certificate may be ordered by written request to the municipal office. The following information must by included in the request:
- Owner(s) Name
- Legal Description
- Municipal Address
- Roll Number
- The fee for a tax certificate is $40